I’ve made another dress based a Club Monaco dress I own. Here are the results. For comparison, I’ve added a photo of the original dress also.
I added the gorgeous jacquard (which I dyed (got dyed ie) in dark navy blue) for some interesting detail and the printed underlining at the hem, for the slightest hint of fun. This was my first time using jacquard fabric and I think I am in love! Look at how utterly gorgeous it is and it has such a nice feel to it too. I also inserted the invisible zipper (with lining for the first time) which turned out quite well, imo.
Unlike the original dress, I lined the entire garment as the yellow/mint was too sheer, so the dress overall feels a lot richer. Also, I got lovely mum to hand stitch the printed underlining at the hem – I’m so lazy when it comes to hand stitching. She did such an amazing job – I honestly can’t tell even a single thread from the front even when I look at it closely, even though she just used a simple running stitch. She says it’s because of the jacquard weave. Maybe.
One smallish issue that caused a little frustration was that the skirt and skirt lining turned out to be a lot bigger than the top waist and had to re-stitch the seams to crop quite a bit off. I must’ve messed up while cutting because the pattern seems ok. Next time will keep this in mind.
Time: 8 – 9 hours, including drafting the pattern
Fabric: Super soft cotton in yellow/mint for 200php / yard and needed a total of around 2 yards (as I made the lining with it as well). 2m jacquard fabric that I got dyed for a total of Rs. 200 and 1/2m for the hem lining for Rs. 50 from Sanskruti, Ahmedabad. Invisible zipper from Fabric Warehouse, Mannila for 10 php
Total cost: Rs. 780 (~@$13 vs $220 for the original and I actually like mine a lot more). I’ll say that was a success!